Sunday, August 21, 2022

Where are we going with the All Out main event?

I missed Dynamite this week, so when I saw they were promoting Punk vs Moxley for next weeks show, I assumed I was seeing some kind of prank. There is a guy on Twitter who does really convincing looking graphics, and he's got me a few times in the past. If I knew who they were I'd plug their twitter here but I don't. Turns out I wasn't looking at a joke, AEW are genuinely doing arguably the biggest match they have available to them on free television instead of pay per view. That in itself doesn't bother me at all since they have done a fair few massive matches on free tv in the past. Bryan Danielson vs Kenny Omega to name one. Given how I am a Fite TV subscriber and I pay for Dynamite anyway, I'm not complaining about it. I am wondering what this means for All Out in a couple of weeks though.

My first thought once I realised they were really doing this is that they will do some kind of finish leading to a stipulation rematch at All Out. That to me feels like the most likely reason, as Tony probably wants to put a gimmick on the PPV match, but can't without something leading to the gimmick. My second thought was they might go to a time limit draw as they have done this before with Danielson and Hangman. At the time of me writing this they haven't announced much for Dynamite, so if the unification match is taking a full hour, that might be why. Basically I'm assuming they are in some way building to a rematch at the pay per view, and not some other direction.

Some people have talked about MJF getting involved, but we've just seen Punk, Omega and Danielson make returns, so do we need another so soon? Then again AEW's booking rarely shows much restraint for that sort of thing so I'm not ruling out an MJF return based on that. I don't quite see what MJF would do on Dynamite though, how would he best make an impact with regards to the AEW World title? If he does come back, he is my prediction to become the next AEW World Champion, but I can't really see a way to plug him in here and now. Maybe he could return at the end of All Out and attack whoever is champion? Also if you're wondering about how he bypasses the ranking system, we have seen in the past that a champion can offer to defend the title regardless of the opponents ranking. Thats basically how the TNT and TBS titles work all the time, but also Chris Jericho offered Jungle Boy a title shot if he could last ten minutes with him so there is a precedent for that.

Looking at the current singles rankings as I'm writing this on Sunday, I am surprised to see that Hangman Page is currently sitting at number 1. He is however currently in a storyline with the Elite and the Dark Order in the trios tournament. When you look at the rest of the rankings I can't see any of the others being next in line either. Powerhouse Hobbs, Daniel Garcia, Jay Lethal and Darby Allin are all in other storylines already. There is nobody in those rankings that I can see as a viable world title challenger right now given that they are all in other storylines.

In summary, my guess is that the Dynamite match will have some kind of finish that will lead to a bigger rematch at All Out, and we will get a decisive winner there. They really haven't set up a next challenger, so I wonder if MJF will return and eventually force the champion into making him the next challenger. MJF has history with both Moxley and Punk, so whoever wins at Full Gear you have something to build on. Thats my prediction, just watch me end up being totally wrong on Wednesday.

If you are reading this I'd like to thank you for your time. I do this blog and my YouTube channel because I am a long time fan who wanted a creative outlet, and I appreciate every reader/viewer. My channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKD5h_ZFhcVfsHeTUYF-6Cw

No comments:

Post a Comment

What happened to Trytan? TNA's giant prospect

  He was seemingly gone as quickly as he arrived, but what happened to Trytan, TNA’s prospect in the early days of Impact? Real name Ryan Wi...